July 4th, 2007 | by Mashable Team
Podcasting may not have lived up to the early hype, but with iPods and other MP3 players still selling like crazy, the potential audience for these audio shows is huge. We’ve compiled a monster list of 70+ tools and resources for podcasters and wannabes.
Podcast Creation Guides
How To Create a Podcast
- About.com’s step-by-step tutorial for podcast beginners.
iLounge Guide to Podcast Creation
- another guide for creating your own podcast for absolute beginners.
Podcasting Legal Guide
- find about legal issues relevant to podcasting in this Creative Commons guide.
Podcast Hosting, Sharing and Networking (Free)
- A Digg
for podcasts and music.
- “Mixtapes for podcasts”: find, share and organize podcasts.
- Free podcast hosting and publishing.
- Free hosting for audio and video clips.
- A tool to create video podcasts. Essentially, HeyCast creates RSS feeds from any existing video files on the web. It doesn’t provide hosting or sharing features.
- A podcast network that lets you create a podcast and browse the podcasts of others.
for voice recordings”: create audio recordings from your computer mic, your phone or Skype, share them with others and embed them on websites.
- A network of podcasts on a range of topics including business, entertainment and comedy.
- podcast hosting solution offering unlimited storage, bandwidth, and free templates for your podcasts.
- this service is still in alpha stage, but everyone’s invited to try it out. It offers a hosting space for your podcast and a directory of user-created podcasts.
- a service that enables you to post text, audio and video materials to your own customized show, and even earn some income from it through sponsors.
- free podcast hosting service offering 10MB of storage space and unlimited bandwidth.
- create, find and share podcasts with this free service.
- create your podcast on Blubrry; browse through other podcasts and create your personal playlist.
- get free unlimited hosting for your podcast and share ad revenue with Podango 50/50.
- Provides podcast metrics and advertising.
- a service that connects podcasters with advertisers.
- Find audio tours of your favorite cities and download them to your iPod.
- Find audio guides for major world cities and download them to portable devices.
- Create live TV shows and convert them to video podcasts.
- A “video podcasting” service. Broadly similar to YouTube, but the focus is on independent creators, who get a share of revenue.
- a simple service to listen to podcasts on your phone.
- Record podcasts straight from your phone.
- Record audio from your phone, add photos and captions.
Text to Podcasts
- Converts text (especially blogs) into podcasts.
- Convert any RSS feed into a podcast.
- Convert blogs to audio podcasts.
- convert RSS feeds, text articles and blog posts to podcasts.
Podcasts to Text
- a podcast transcription service that converts podcasts to text for $0.75 minute. It employs human transcribers.
- A directory that makes recommendations by finding patterns in your interests and comparing the interests of others.
- Explore podcasts, listen to them, subscribe to them and even create your own.
- directory of podcasts and radio shows, complete with playlists.
- a podcast directory with over 30,000 podcasts. Maintains a monthly top list.
- a simple, categorized podcast directory
- a very comprehensive podcast directory; contains tens of thousands of podcasts.
- a directory of podcasts with a top list, a list of featured podcasts, and categorization.
- a simple directory with a very clean layout.
- on Podfeed you can host and share your podcast, find podcasts, as well as read and write podcast reviews.
- A premium directory where you pay to download self-help podcasts.
- Directory that lets you listen to podcasts on your phone (mobile or landline)
- Create your own live talkshow or interactive podcast.
- Audio shows streamed live, mainly with notable technologists. Once recorded, the live shows are available as podcasts.
- A social network that lets anyone create a live, interactive talk show. Stickam for audio, in some ways.
Podcast Hosting (Premium)
- Offers both free and premium podcast hosting.
- a podcast hosting service, with unmetered bandwidth, statistics and even some promotional opportunities.
- create audio, video materials and podcasts and post them to your blog.
- Liberated Syndication will host your podcasts for a modest monthly fee.
- Audio and video search engine.
- an audio and video search engine that searches the words spoken in podcasts.
- Discover and share podcasts, and search for specific parts of podcasts using advanced search technology called HearHere.
- Podcast search and community.
Podcast Alley Forum
- a well visited forum on everything related to podcasting.
- a good forum for promoting your podcast.
World Podcast Forum
- a fresh forum about podcasting.
Podcast Creation Software (Offline)
- Create professional podcasts including background music, jingles, crossfading and more. Windows only. Free trial, $49.95 to buy.
- Free, open source software for recording and editing audio. Versions for Mac OS X, Windows, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.
- Advanced audio editing from Adobe. Windows and Mac. Free trial, $199 to buy.
Wildvoice Podcast Studio
- Record audio, add music and sound effects and upload to Wildvoice.com or other sites. Windows only.
- Podcast creation for Windows. $79.99.
Podcast Creation Software (Online)
- Perhaps the most popular podcasting platform. It allows you to record audio within your browser, embed it anywhere and create your own audio channels.
- Record high-quality audio right through the web browser or your phone. No additional software needed.
- Record, mix and broadcast your podcasts. You can record messages by phone and upload MP3 files from your computer.
- This site lets you record video and audio online directly from your browser. You can also receive in line calls from listeners wanting to leave voice comments.
- create, broadcast and sell your very own radio shows and podcasts. You can record audio right from your browser or upload an existing MP3.
Wild Voice Shout Recorder
- Online service that lets you record audio files through an intuitive interface but doesn’t let you edit them or add special effects.
Miscellaneous Podcast Tools
- make your podcasts indexed and searchable.
- a network that brings audio, video, podcasts, and music to your computer, iPod, mobile device, or television.
- enhance your podcast with images and text and share it with everyone.
- where podcasting and music meet. Helps bands to create podcasts.
- Find bands in your city and download free MP3s to your iPod to preview their music ahead of the show.
- Enter a subject you’re interested in, and Noisely serves up a selection of podcasts you’ll like. Press play, and all the ‘casts stream continuously until you stop them.
What did we miss? Add more tools, services and resources in the comments.
Blogging Toolbox: 120+ Resources for Bloggers
14 Personalized Homepages Compared, Feature by Feature
230+ Keyboard Shortcuts for Top Web Services
Online Photography Toolbox: 90+ Online Photography Tools and Resources
Video Toolbox: 150+ Online Video Tools and Resources
Online Productivity Toolbox: 30+ Resources to Get Things Done
The Ultimate RSS Toolbox - 120+ RSS Resources
Analytics Toolbox: 50+ Ways to Track Website Traffic